Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Dad, dad

Around this time (September 30, 1964) while dad was at Denver University working on another degree he took the time to pen a poem for me:

My Boy

My boy you are not old enough for a white shirt,
Long sleeves and a button down collar.
You are but six (for ever and ever!)
And keep always that smile – it is too alert and mischievous to be lost,
Like the wag of Abby’s Tail.

O shout now down the hall, from the nest of your covers, “Lay by me!”
I’ll hear it, Don’t Worry, Over Here. (I imagine it each night.)
And the mystery for we shall start as I lie by you in thoughts –
Wondering at the sweet intensity.

Now Hug Me! I command it!
Press to me your smallness, with blue sky, red bicycle, and me trotting along side.
And into the dark we shall tell stories and play games until you drift comfortably away.
Nate, our distance tells me what love is. DAD

5 comments:

The Melkman said...

Happy Father's Day to Dad and my friend Uncle Padad.

Myrle Dalton said...

Your dad had a wonderful way with words. I used to call him Cerano D'Bersurach (phoenetic sp) You guys might want to get all the poetry he wrote and make a family book of it someday.

Myrle Dalton said...

Oh, by the way, it was a Master's of Library Science Degree. Denver was the only University in the West that had that degree. He was at the U. of U. pursuing a Master's in English staying with my mom and dad, when he was introduced to this degree in Denver.

Seagull Dream said...

ah. that is nice. and you still have it. hoorah for both you. late. on F day.

Lincoln said...

Nate, dad did always like you best.
That is a nice poem! When did you first remember recieving it? Or did you come across it recently?