Sunday, March 8, 2009

A Weekend at Melon's

Clint brought his girlfriend -- Cassi (sp?) -- for a tour of Utah's Dixie this past weekend. I think the original intent was Dan Dalton's homecoming. Cassi had not spent any time in So. Utah so after visiting on Friday we set out Saturday for some hiking in the popcorn lava, among the creosote, sage, prickley pear, and red rock. We re-discoverd Johnson's Arch and discovered the Scout Cave. We also checked out the sights, as you can see...
But, the open house at the Bloomington Hill's Daltons was the highlight of the day. Some of Linc's "obreros" grilled up "carne asado, pollo al limon, tamales, tortillas de maiz" and more! And a good time was had by all.
Here's a shot of the returned Dan Dalton from Leon, Mexico with his cousin Clint. On Sunday Dan Dalton spoke. From Melon's journal...
Sunday we arose earlier than usual to head down to hear Dan Dalton give his homecoming talk. He did well. This naturally reserved and introspective missionary gave a talk on service using his own experiences with this virtue. Most poignant was a story he told of a visit he and his companion made to a humble home. While conversing, the man of the house disappeared without explanation only to return with a small tin in hand. This thoughtful man opened the tin only to reveal a brush and some shoe wax. He then proceeded to clean and polish the Elder’s shoes. Dan explained that it was difficult to proceed with the discussion and the room fell into silence. As Dan tried to continue teaching, all he could think of was The Lord washing his disciple’s feet – it was difficult not to be moved by Dan’s words.

4 comments:

Seagull Dream said...

At first i thought you meant the middle picture was of the returned Dan and that freaked me out. sad I wasn't there.

Ashlie Dalton said...

I can't believe Cassie hasn't ever been to St. George in all her moving about. Looks like a fun weekend.
Just saw the slide of your mom, it's interesting to see pictures like that. I like all her clothes, especially that orange jacket picture.

stern mister serious said...

That was as good a weekend as I've had in '09. Good summation. The story of tin can service was definitely moving.

Reference Ashlie's comment for how to spell Cassie. Or reference her name—just replace Ashl with Cass.

Myrle Dalton said...

Well, I guess I hit the right button to post a comment, now to figure out what button I pushed. I tried to repond earlier, but couldn't so I responded on my own blog to you thinking maybe you would read it. It was a very good journal entry of the 'homecoming'. Dan looked great. It was nice to meet Cass and to see Clint again. I wondered where Hayley was but didn't ask anyone. I definitely liked the tender story of the investigator polishing the missionaries' shoes also. Wonderful weather here today. I thought about you at the Mini-Indy, I didn't get over to see it this year. How did you guys do? I didn't even get to see the car. Luvmom