Thursday, July 2, 2009

Melon tours Connecticut?

Is it really a tour? Or, is it just a boy and his car? I've been to CT more than a dozen times -- Hartford, New Haven, Litchfield, Bridgeport, Bristol, etc. And, I have seen some of the sights, but tour? I don't want to use that term lightly. Wait! haven't I seen that shirt before? Oh yes, in every summer picture since 200?

A tour certainly does not refer to trips when you spend evenings hanging out by yourself in a motel room working or watching the History channel? Look! I have hair from the back!

OK, I did some homework and found that in Farmington (where my business meeting was) Wilford Woodruff was born and raised. His parent's place is now located in Avon (was Farmington). So I found the Avon Parks and Recreation building (it was housed with all the city offices in old rennovated munitions buildings) -- very nice as you can see. I sat down and had a chat with Alan Marsten, the Parks manager. He gave me a little more history than I was actually looking for, but, in the end, I got the address to plug into the GPS.




Trips are made to share. I've travelled alone plenty and find that, when alone, I detect a smidgen of foreboding in my tummy. It seems to be asking the question, what's going on here? Or, what's going to go on here? I have no answer. The pre-monition, or portent usually disappears rapidly when distracted -- business meeting, conversation, human interaction, or familiar surroundings.

Case in point. I went for a run around the neighborhoods in Farmington and happened on to the local airport. I ran down one of the taxi ways and observed the many Cessnas, Beeches, Mooney's, and Cubs. I looked into a couple of hangers and saw the familiar puttering of airplane mechanics with airplane parts and clutter all around them. While there, I felt right at home.

By the way, it seems that airplane people will find any reason to create a hero out of someone who flew an airplane.

3 comments:

Myrle Dalton said...

I tried to leave a comment about your conneticut trip, but I couldn't get the comment section to come up. I would love to see Conneticut and am impressed with your ability to find things to do by yourself on such a trip. Very interesting. We got home last night on the 9th. Luvmom

Lark said...

You may be interested to know that you have about 14 grandfathers who were founding fathers of Hartford, CT.

http://larkturnthehearts.blogspot.com/search/label/CT%20Hartford%20Founding%20Father

Their histories can be found at the above link.

Next time you have a meeting in Hartford I hope you will feel a connection.

Don't you just love family history!

Anonymous said...

Mr. Melon, I love reading your blog. I was interested in your info about Wilford Woodruff and had to comment that he was baptized into the church by my great, great grandfather, Zerah Pulsipher. (Zerah is mentioned in the D&C a couple of times. So, I guess Zerah would be Cole's (5-greats) grandfather. Exclamation Point! I really just wanted to let you know that I enjoy your blog....don't stop!
Ash's Grandma Pete