Sunday, December 18, 2011

Touring 19th Century Christmas


Last week, on my way back from Vidalia Georgia, I stopped at a Bookstore in Macon partly to find a book to read on the flight back and partly to rest my aching back.  After browsing for an hour I decided on, A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens.  It hit me that while I have seen many versions of this -- Disney, Scrooged, and others; I don't think I had ever read the original -- good 19th century prose -- centered on the principle of giving to the poor.

Shauna and I attended the Christmas Concert at the conference center at Temple Square.  It was a beautiful production with a medieval theme featuring The Choir, orchestra, dancers, baritone Nathan Gunn, and story teller Jane Seymour.  The Christmas carol "Good King Wenceslas" was performed and was moving -- the first time I'd paid attention to that poem.  Again written in the 19th century by John Mason Neale.  It is about the good king in the 10th century as he reaches out to a poor soul -- worth pondering.

While these are prose and poem that warms the heart, what could be written of our lives and times?

3 comments:

Ashlie Dalton said...

you have a pretty wife.

p.s. it was a great christmas concert!

Myrle Dalton said...

I can see you know how to dress for the concert and the walk around temple square. Maybe that was part of our problem last year. However, the temple grounds are so beautiful it is worth the trip. I would have loved to see the concert. I guess I'll have to wait until it comes out on DVD. I'm so pleased you have the opportunity to see and do. Luv

Rachel said...

love the picture of you two. Super cute