Saturday, December 13, 2008

Great's Grandpa Johnson

In 1875 Grandpa Aaron Johnson Jr., at the age of 25, packed up his family and headed from Springville to Sunset Crossing on the Little Colorado River in Arizona to "make that locality bloom and blossom as the rose." Friday, Linc and I took my pickup and we headed to Kanab. From there we took the "Old Arizona Road" trail that AJ's company took over the Buckskin Mountains to House Rock Valley then on to Lee's Ferry. Here Linc is on top of the Buckskin Mtns. It took AJ's company 7 days to get over it in snow and mud. They had to put one ox down.
The trail we took was first used by Native Americans. They led Dominquez and Escalante down it before bolting. Eventually Jacob Hamlin and other pioneers used this route for colonization of Arizona. We also stopped and had lunch where the California Condor's are established on the Vermillion Cliffs. We saw a bunch of them from afar.

Old parts of a boiler once on a barge used for gold digging. AJ's company was ferried across the Colorado on a barge. He and Louisa lost their 2-year old girl "beautiful Winifred" on this trip. Mrs. Lee at the ferry helped them prepare for burial.


We found this marker with only W.J. inscribed on it. Could it be?

"Closed - but for a time - are Winnifred's eyes: Night and day - it seems for me - she cries!

I seem to hear her voice, above the river's roar - pleading with me, to visit her resting place once more!

At the Ferry of John D. Lee, where the muddy Colorado rushes toward the Sea!" Aaron Johnson, Jr.

2 comments:

stern mister serious said...

So, looks like you and Linc did a little time-travelin'. That's cool that you found that W.J. headstone—I'd love to make some of those AJ stories feel a little more real, as I'm guessing this little adventure did.

hanyon said...

Hi Dad, I am glad you invited me here, I had all but given up on you posting a second time on your blog, I must say I enjoyed my visit and will certainly be back, so keep posting.