Sunday, November 29, 2009

Just Glad To Be Here

We had a few Daltons and a few Prussos for Thanksgiving. The food was possibly the best ever. The company was very easy and relaxing -- the day passed quickly (dang!).
I miss the feeling of the desert and I'm not fond of the chilly breeze that comes off of Traverse Mountain, and I have no yard to putter in. But, the opportunity of hearing Hayley's profound thoughts and feelings as she spoke in her ward on gratitude, and the chance to be involved (even on the periphery) in her life, makes it worthwhile to be here.
I'm not fond of the daily hour drive in I15 traffic, nor do I like going to work before the sun comes up and leaving the office when the sun has gone down. But, seeing Clint and Cassie sporadically and witnessing the transformation of Clint's bachelor pad into a home (albeit green), as well as discussing The Fantastic Mr. Fox's idiosyncratic dialog with C&C, makes it worthwhile to be here.
I miss my KLX450R and S2000 which are holed up in my spacious garage in Santa Clara. I don't like the way the contractors fire tape the garages in Northern Utah and don't finish them and I don't like the permanent ice on the north side of our drive that probably won't disappear until May 21st. But, driving down today to hear Hannah and Canyon give talks in Church about Mathew 11:28-30, hearing the clarity in which Hannah related the spiritual to the physical, and hearing how Canyon expounded on these words makes it worthwhile to be here.
I'm tired of running and running without the break of riding my bicycle out to Kayenta, and doing it in the dark at 28 degrees, breathing inverted pollutants (not to mention the smell of the mink farm when I run by). But, a quick drive up to Luke's place to spend the evening driving small cars, building "temples," and watching movies -- as well as holding Max -- certainly makes it all worthwhile to be here.

2 comments:

stern mister serious said...

I'm glad it's worth your while, though it sounds like a precarious balance — wouldn't take much to tip in the "not worthwhile" direction (or was that not the point of this post?)

You've got a good thing going... too bad you can't just transplant it all to St. George. Or can you? We'll see how Christmas 2009 shakes out, eh? It could be your one shot.

Myrle Dalton said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I would have loved to hear all the talks from your kids on spiritual matters. We had a nice time here but missed the Nate Dalton bunch. Mitzi is a big hit at our house. We love her! Even Mac does! Hope to see you soon. Love you. MOM