Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter

This morning, after preparing for a Sunday school lesson, I had the idea of posting "El Espolio" -- a painting of Christ (just before crucifiction) by El Greco. Linc gave me the idea when I found various paintings of Christ and the resurrection on his blog .

This large Altarpiece by El Greco made quite an impression on me when we visited the Toledo Cathedral in Spain. But, as I gazed upon it this morning, it started to dampen my spirits. The expressions and mood of the the painting were undoubtedly conveying its intended message, but in the end I wasn't up for it.

I found a reprieve and a lighter, brighter solution in the hymn, "He Is Risen." So, instead of El Greco's 1577 work "El Espolio" Meet my Sunday school class.

1 comment:

stern mister serious said...

Nice to meet you, Melon's Sunday School Class. Happy Easter!